Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The amazing egg and stoker


I love my stoker. I also love my Egg. I love smoking food. I am constantly amazed at those three things when put together.

I cooked for the Daughters Birthday Bash (see below) and the food was amazing. Just for shits and giggles, I decided to see how long the Egg would run on the one load of fuel. My last attempt at this was 22 hours. It began like this...

I lit the Egg on Saturday afternoon at 4:30 with a full load (up to the fire ring) of lump ( about 1/2 a bad of lump). I put the food on and 6:00 pm. The stoker was running the egg at 220. All was well until I tried to run Stoker Log, a great program from a forum user. It is windows based and somehow the Stoker spiked the heat to 300. This is bad in BBQ. I finally had to reset the stoker and all was well.
The food was done Sunday morning at 10:00 am, earlier than I thought. I just kept the Stoker going, at 220 and left it alone. Then the idea of how long it would burn came to me, and also the idea of how low it would go. So I set it at 200 and left it alone. I tracked its progress all day and into the night. By 10:00 it was struggling, with the fan running. an hour later the temp kept dropping. i thought it was done. I opened the lid and saw so much ash had collected that it was clogged up. So I moved the wood around, and unplugged the holes, and it jumped right back up to 200.

This lasted until around 1:00 am, Monday morning. Yes, Monday. At this point, the temp was falling fast. So I just shut it off. All during this, the outside temp was 40 and dropping. When I shut the egg down it was 36 degrees outside.
The picture you see is the amount of wood left after the egg shut down.

Amazing. Roughly 31 hours of constant cooking temps, on one load of wood. I can't imagine a better fuel/fire ratio.

Wow.

No comments: