Thursday, February 12, 2009

The stink, stank, stunk...

For some reason, i didn't do any smoking over the Nov-Dec months. Where I live there is lots moisture in the air, causing the dreaded mold and rust. I opened my Egg, and it was full of it. So I did what the good folks over at the egg forum suggested: Go nuclear. That means 500-600 degrees. I did this and the egg was clean of all moldy substances.

The biggest issue was the stink. The was a bad creosol smell when I would light the egg. It wouldn't burn off. So I again asked and found my nuclear wasn't long enough. So I opened the egg wide and man after about an hour, the smell was gone. I poot all the egg equipment in it and cooked those two!

I did find one big issue that needs to be addressed. The metal top of the egg is cast iron. Sadly, I did not know this and rust showed up. I followed the advice of the forum (see the pattern) and gave it the cast iron pan treatment. This meant rubbing it down with oil and giving it a good cook. That worked wonders.

The big birthday bash party is this weekend, so I have to get the egg all cleaned up for cooking!

No comments: